A cold is a viral infection of the nose and mouth.
Adults get 3-4 colds per year.
Colds usually last 7-14 days.
Normal Cold Symptoms
- Nasal discharge and congestion up to 2 weeks (thick yellow, green nasal discharge is normal phase of the common cold)
- Sinus congestion (pressure in face common first 4-5 days of cold)
- Ear congestion
- Fever up to 3 days
- Sore throat up to 5 days (with other cold symptoms)
- Cough up to 3 weeks (cough usually starts 4-5 days into cold)
When should I see a doctor?
- Earache, ear discharge
- Fever (>100.5) present more than 3 days
- Fever > 101
- Sore throat present over 5 days
- White patches on throat or tonsils
- Nasal discharge present over 2 weeks
- Cough present over 3 weeks
- Sinus pain not relieved by nasal washes